An Overview of SERCOS
Serial Real-time Communications System (SERCOS) is an international standard for high-speed motion control networking. It calls for the use of fiber optic cables, frequently referred to as LWLs (German: LichtWellenLeiter Kabel), to serve as data links between controllers, motor drives, and digital input/output devices. Fiber optic cables are the medium of choice for this application, because they solve issues of cross-talk, electromagnetic emissions, electromagnetic interference susceptibility, and ground loops, as well as bringing low production and installation costs.
With these advantages in mind, SERCOS guides the selection of LWLs. Some of the specifics are:
- Maximum attenuation of 12.5 dB
- Maximum length of 40 meters
- SMA (FSMA) connector terminations
- 2.2mm outer diameter for fiber used inside control cabinets
- 6.0mm outer diameter for fiber used outside of control cabinets, such as in machines areas, cable channels, or trailing cable chains
FiberFin is proud to be a manufacturer of SERCOS-compliant cable assemblies. Note that this page is not the official SERCOS standard, which must be obtained through an IEC standards distributor, such as the ones listed here.